Monday 15 June 2015

30 Days Wild - Day 15 - 15 June 2015


30 Days Wild - Doing something wild everyday

Day 15 - The thing I have been enjoying about taking part in 30 Days Wild is the spontaneity and unpredictability of what my wild thing of the day is going to be.  These are all things that would have happened to me anyway, but I wouldn't have been taking too much notice and certainly not writing about them.

Today I was on my way to the airport for a school trip to Barcelona.  I was running late and I wasn't sure if I was going to see anything wild before I left.

As I opened my front gate, there was the most perfect looking toad in the road.  The poor little thing had clearly just been run over, but not squashed.  I had to look carefully to check if it was dead.  The tiny drops of blood on his back were the give away signs of his demise.  I couldn't resist stopping to have a poke around!



Common Toad, Compton Martin, Somerset
Photograph taken by Young Birder Birdgirl Mya-Rose Craig


In about March or April time, we have a frog patrol by Chew Valley Lake.  The kind frog people are out all night, picking up frogs into buckets, before they head out onto the road. The frogs are then taken across the road and released to the lake.  This is a sign to slow down and be careful.  It is on these nights that if there is rain, huge numbers of the frogs hop along the back lane into our village.  Mum and Dad have to drive at 5 miles an hour and sometimes I have to walk ahead to try and move the frogs out of the way.  Our lane isn't as full but we do still lots of frogs moving along to get to places like our pond, so do get quite a few poor little dead frogs and toads.


About the writer




Young Birder Birdgirl Mya-Rose Craig on Scilly
Photograph taken by and copyright Chris Craig



Mya-Rose Craig is a 12 year old young birder, conservationist, writer and speaker. She is based near Bristol and writes the successful Birdgirl Blog, with posts about birding and conservation from around the world. She is looking forward to going Mountain Gorilla Trekking in East Africa in the summer and watching Penguins in Antarctica in December 2015, which will be her 7th continent. She has recently been listed with the singer songwriter George Ezra and actress Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones as one of Bristol's most influential young people. Please like her Birdgirl Facebook Page and follow her on Birdgirl Twitter



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment. Please can you make sure that it is positive and is about me or my blog and not about promoting you or your business. Thanks. Mya-Rose Craig